Jan 7, 2009

In search of the perfect kadhai

Since our only kadhai retired, we have searched stores online and off for a replacement. But nothing seems to fit the bill (and the couple that did, didn't fit the pocket). I doubt we would have to think about buying a kadhai for more than a minute in India.

Anyhow. The problem is that I need something for deep frying, the Indian way. The other skillets in my kitchen are good for everything else, including shallow pan frying. The bottom is an issue. I would like a round bottom kadhai, something that makes the deep frying more convenient. And non non-stick. But then I am skeptical of those steel skillets in the market, or the woks used for Asian cooking. The woks don't seem thick enough for frying level temperatures, and at the same time rather bulky in terms of balance.

So if you can tell me where I can get the kadhai for purposes of Indian cooking, particularly deep frying that would be a lot of help. It could be a store in the U.S. or somewhere online. Looking forward to some insights.

No comments:

Post a Comment